Monday 15 December 2008

Why So Serious? My Love of The Dark Knight

I'm a little confused as to why I love The Dark Knight so much. I mean, I've always been a film fan. Some of my earliest memories are of me at the cinema. I remember sneaking into the 12 rated Titanic, when I was only 8, and sobbing like a baby at the end and I remember going to see Flipper for my friend's 6th birthday party and rolling in front of the stage, throwing popcorn like all the other unruly kids there in the same cinema that 10 years later gave me my first job.

Films are such a huge part of my life, but despite all that there's never been one that I have been completely obsessed by. That was until this summer, when I went along with my cinema coworkers to a private midnight screening of The Dark Knight.

I wasn't really that excited when I went in because the last Batman film I saw, Batman and Robin, was...well...rubbish. But I loved how perfect everything about it was, the story was faultless, the music grand and haunting and Heath Ledger was so deliciously terrifying as The Joker. Every time he came on screen I found myself suddenly feeling so tense and nervous, goosebumps bubbling up on my arms, because I knew that this sadistic serpentine man was so dangerous that he could do absolutley anything. He simply has to get that Oscar!

And I wasn't the only one captivated by this film. TDK has a 94% positive rating on review website Rotten Tomatoes, is ranked the 4th best film ever on IMDb, became only the second film ever to make over $500 million at the worldwide box office and set a record in North America for the most DVDs sold in one day (3 Million). Basically, a lot of people like it...

But perhaps the reason I am so obsessed by this film is because it turned out to be so much more than the big bangs and bad dialouge of the average summer blockbuster I was expecting. It was a real morality tale, so dark and bleak that it bordered on depressing, a drama that tackled the real word issues of terrorism and corruption, where good, innocent people suffer and die and the villains rule supreme. And to think, just two years earlier a typical Batman film consisted of Arnold Schwarzenegger dressed up as an Ice-Man spouting out terrible one liners.

My favourite scene? It would have to be the interrogation scene between Batman and The Joker in what will be a pivotal point in the movie. Here the seemingly unbreakable Joker responds to Batman's vicious pummeling with psychotic laughter and pushes the dark knight, screaming, to his breaking point:

Video Courtesy of youtube.com (user chriscargill)

No comments: