Friday 12 December 2008

Critical Evaluation of My Group Blog


I was excited to start my group blog project, as I was extremely interested in the topic of the blog, comedy, because comedy TV shows and movies are pretty much the only things I watch.
I felt like I knew enough to talk about the subject in depth and therefore would be able to contribute easily to the blog.
The idea of our blog was simply to write about everything to do with comedy. We wanted to talk about comedy from all decades, all genres, on the internet, on the TV and at the cinema. We found that we came up with different ideas for the blog very quickly, in fact by the end of our first lecture we had pretty much figured out what we would be writing, who would be writing it and when it would be posted.
We decided that, as well as writing about different types of comedy, we would write different kinds of posts, for example on a day when one person posted a review, another blogger in our group would post a profile piece on a comedian, so the detail on the blog was always varied.
Our blog was different because it truly was unique! honestly! We searched all over the internet for comedy blogs and what we found were blogs that were funny, but not any blogs that actually covered comedic TV shows or film or shows or anything.
We also realised that we didn't really have a target audience, considering that comedy appeals to all demographics. Initially we thought this would be a good thing, because it meant that we appealed to everyone, giving us a large potential audience.
However, we found out later on when we were doing our presentation that in fact the best blogs succeed because they have a niche market of devoted readers. If anything, our random scattering of topics was going to put everyone off.
When it came to writing my first blog post, I soon realised that it turned out much harder than I thought it would be. I thought it would be easy to talk at length about this subject and that I could knock out a small and interesting post very quickly. However, the whole post took me the entire night to write and I had to research quite a lot of the information that I thought I already knew about.
From then on I tried to keep every subsequent post I did short and punchy, but with every post I felt myself writing much more than I had intended just to cover everything I wanted to in the post. Any posts which I had deliberately cut short, such as my final post at "...completely different" felt somewhat unsatisfactory.
I also had problem with the Blogger software. After posting pictures and videos, random white gaps would start showing up that I could not get rid of, and every time I pressed enter for a new paragraph in the post, it would skip down two lines instead of one. I also initially had problems with the timestamp on each post, as I was unaware that the time given when each blog post is published is the time when the draft was first saved. That meant I was extremely confused when my first two posts turned up on the blog with completely different times and dates than I had actually published them. However I soon worked out how to change this, thankfully.
Overall I think our blog turned out pretty well. I personally liked the fact that we covered a wide range of comedy, but if the professional didn't agree than of course we would have to change this in order to make the blog marketable. If I was to redo the blog again, I would probably pick a target audience and write about the kind of comedy that they specifically enjoy.


Pictures Courtesy of: leeth.org and bradford.library.on.ca

No comments: